City of Austin Offers Class, Rebates for Chicken Keepers
Nov 04, 2019 02:22PM
● By Cat Carrel
Austin encourages backyard chicken coops and, in fact, has a rebate program for people who want to have backyard chickens. Prospective chicken keepers must attend a
class and then apply for the rebate. The class is part of the city’s Home Composting Rebate Program and educates on chicken health, backyard composting, and regulations around keeping urban chickens.
Some of those regulations include:
- Assuring enclosures for two or more chickens are at least 50 feet from neighboring dwellings or businesses
- Having a maximum of 10 chickens within city limits
- Keeping noise to a minimum
- Providing adequate shelter
- Keeping them from roaming freely outside of the owner’s property
Owning chickens can be fun and rewarding. Assuring that their needs are met can give a chicken keeper years of fresh eggs, composting help and fertilizer for the garden.
The next class is offered on November 16.
For more information on the City of Austin guidelines, visit AustinTexas.gov/page/chickens-bees-goats-andmore.